Dear Windermere Friends,
I am sitting in my office today just thinking and dreaming about what Windermere will look like in the future. As I was daydreaming, I recalled the highlights of my youth years. Like many people of my generation, I am a huge Star Wars fan. I was a kid 30 plus years ago when it first came out. I began to laugh because now the biggest “new” movie coming out this fall will be…you guessed… Star Wars. What is new looks a lot like what is old. That struck me as an unusual principle.
The future doesn’t always have to be about huge change. One of my favorite business authors is Jim Collins. In his book Great by Choice Collins points out that organizations operate with entrenched myths about leading in chaotic anduncertain times. It other words what you think is common sense, is not because research has proven it to be a myth.
- Myth: Successful leaders in turbulent times are bold, risk-seeking visionaries.
Reality: The leaders were more disciplined, more empirical (in others words based on the research of facts) and paranoid (I pretty much nail this one!)
- Myth: Innovation distinguishes top performing organizations in a fast moving, uncertain and chaotic world.
Reality: It is more important to blend creativity with discipline.
- Myth; A threat filled world favors the speedy; you are either quick or dead.
Reality: it is more important to figure out when to be fast and when to go slow.
- Myth: Radical change on the outside requires radical change on the inside.
Reality: The top performing companies changed less in reaction to changing world. (Wow this one surprised me)
- Myth: Great organizations have a lot more good luck.
Reality: it has nothing to do with more luck. It has to do with what you do with the luck you get.
- Windermere needs to be disciplined and absolutely sure of every step we take in the future.
- Windermere needs to blend creativity with our discipline.
- Windermere needs to be confident of what stays the same as we move into the future
- Windermere needs to forget about luck and take every blessing from the Lord and get the most out of it in the future.
Sometimes just sitting in the office and thinking can be a productive time.
Please help us with a donation –
Go to windermereusa.logosconnect.com
John W. Bailey
Office 573-346-5200 Ext. 2611