Week 18 – Sustaining
I am often asked, “How is Windermere doing?” I usually give a short answer like, “We are fine,” or “We are getting ready for the summer.” I sometimes wonder if I am just sharing what I think other people want to know. Is there a better description of Windermere?
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. Hebrews 1:3
This past week I was reading from Hebrews and came across Hebrews 1:3, the verse above. I love that term sustaining. The way it is used in the New Testament is referring to carrying things or bringing things. Remember the four friends who carried the paralyzed man to Jesus. Or, the story of Jesus at the wedding when the servants brought more wine. That is the idea of sustaining.
To say that Jesus is sustaining by His powerful word means that Jesus is directing creation to His desired end. Here is a better description–
- Our Lord is not distant or removed from our ministry at Windermere
- Our Lord uses everything at Windermere to accomplish His will
- Our Lord is not making things up as we go along at Windermere
- Our Lord upholds this ministry. We don’t rely upon ourselves
The best picture of Windermere would be this – Our Lord is sustaining Windermere.
There is no way we are smart enough to sustain Windermere. That would be a horrible picture. I am reminded of this story:
The machine that usually did the job was broken. And so they hired a man to paint lines on a newly resurfaced portion of a remote highway. The first day he painted 9 miles, and the supervisor, impressed by such an effort, told him he would hire him full time and give him a big raise if he kept up that pace for the next few days. But the next day he was able to paint only 5 miles. On the following day he did only one mile, then the next day a half a mile. The supervisor fired him but asked what had happened. “It isn’t my fault,” the man muttered as he walked away shaking his head, “I just kept getting further and further away from the can.
Join the dozens that making an extra $100 a month gift to Windermere. How can you give? There are three ways you can make a tax deductible donation to Windermere –
- You make your check out to Windermere Baptist Conference Center
- You may make a donation by credit card by going to our website – Go to logosconnect.com
- You can donate an investment such as stocks, CD’s, etc. It is a simple process. Just give us a call and we can walk you through the steps.
It is always a pretty day at the lake.