Week 20 – Summer Interns and Growth
This is the week when Windermere Summer Interns arrive. They will be checking in this weekend.
I am always amazed at their enthusiasm and their hard work. Serving at camp during the summer can be grueling. I remember talking to an older gentlemen in one of my former churches who said this, “Hard work is hard because in order to mature and grow, you need to be stretched.” The real world can be a tough place but there are some good things that occur.
Out in the real world they call it “increasing your capacity.” Growing means learning. Here is how Windermere can help increase a person’s capacity.
- Good systems – A good system is the way a group of people get more done together than they could have done by themselves. It is about finding ways to be more effective and efficient.
Windermere application – We provide on the job training toward completing projects and assignments in the most efficient ways. For example: In order to feed 1500 people in 75 minutes, you are always looking for ways to be more efficient.
- Growth mindset – There are two mindsets people embrace. A fixed mindset and a growth mindset. The growth mindset says I may not be great at this YET. But soon I will get better at it.
Windermere application – Summer Staff are on the cutting edge of problem solving. People tell me this is the most sought after skill set in the business world
- Demanding experiences – Generally speaking we do not reach our capacity until we go through demanding situations. People are like rubber bands; we are most useful when we are stretched.
Windermere application – Our ministry comes in waves each summer. One group leaves and another comes rolling on to campus. Many summer staff tell me, “I didn’t what I could do until I came to Windermere.”
- Vital Feedback – We grow when we hear feedback and get thick enough skin to take it to heart. John Maxwell has said this, “Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn.”
Windermere application – We have a culture that says our service never rests so we must work smarter. Things break when you tax the campus with 1,000 people. How we respond to feedback is a growing experience.
I hope you will pray for our Summer Interns. We hope to have close to 50 with us for the summer. Praise the Lord.
Join the dozens that making an extra $100 a month gift to Windermere. How can you give? There are three ways you can make a tax deductible donation to Windermere –
- You make your check out to Windermere Baptist Conference Center
- You may make a donation by credit card by going to our website – Go to logosconnect.com
- You can donate an investment such as stocks, CD’s, etc. It is a simple process. Just give us a call and we can walk you through the steps.
It is always a pretty day at the lake.