Week 24 – Happiness
I love to hear the campers all over campus. From my office I can hear out my window. I can hear them splashing in the inflatables area, yelling for their friends, talking about getting an ice cream at the snack shack and so on. Even though I can’t see their faces, I can tell one thing – they are happy.
I have talked a lot over the years about how camp can be a wonderful ministry tool. Maybe the best alternative word for camp is happiness. At my home church, Riverview Baptist Church. Carol and I are thrilled to have Dr. John Marshall as our interim pastor. He recently retired as Senior Pastor at Second Baptist Church, Springfield. His sermon on Sunday was on this verse –
Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness are blessed,
for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6
In this verse Jesus equated righteousness with happiness. In other words to be righteous or holy is the key to being happy. Maybe that is why so many of the campers at Windermere sound so happy- they are filled and satisfied.
All of God’s blessings are a byproduct of His righteousness and that is the key to happiness. In this short verse one can see –
- By product #1 – Righteousness comes with being “filled.” Being filled carries a double meaning. It means both satisfied and controlled by. Seeking to be controlled by Him satisfies both us and the Father. John 14:8
- Byproduct #2 – Righteousness brings happiness by sparing us the pain of sin and consequences ALSO by purifying our hearts and giving us an appetite for eternal things. Psalm 17:15
- By product #3- Righteousness brings happiness because it simplifies our lives, unifies our lives and satisfies our lives
- By product #4 – Righteousness does not mean we lose the good things in world. We get them back and enjoy them more. 1 Timothy 6:17
Happiness is a more than laughter. It is hunger for righteousness that fills the soul and satisfies. Jesus wants us to have a deep hunger for God that will change and control our lives when we satisfy it in Him. Every time I hear happy campers I will be thanking God for filling us and satisfying us. God is at work here at Windermere. I love camp!
Join the dozens that making an extra $100 a month gift to Windermere. How can you give? There are three ways you can make a tax deductible donation to Windermere –
- You make your check out to Windermere Baptist Conference Center
- You may make a donation by credit card by going to our website – Go to logosconnect.com
- You can donate an investment such as stocks, CD’s, etc. It is a simple process. Just give us a call and we can walk you through the steps.
It is always a pretty day at the lake.